Spielart creates unique hand crafted play equipment using robinia timber. The equipment is specifically designed to harmonise with the natural environment and is perfect for natural play designs. The product range of Spielart is among the most imaginative and creative on the market. Children love the many opportunities for role and physical play that the products offer.
A range of standard designs are available, but Spielart are also able to make unique products to fit around a certain tree,
slope or produce an entire concept specifically for your play area.
What makes the products unique?
- Each piece is made from bespoke materials by craftsmen and women.
- Every piece of equipment is truly unique.
- The equipment is designed to harmonise with the natural environment.
- It is playground equipment that makes children smile.
- People feel naturally attracted to the equipment.
- The products are very tactile.
- The products are made from sustainable materials.
- It is made without any chemicals or preservatives.
- Basic construction: robinia, naturally grown, planed. Dimensions and shapes may vary, since tree trunks are not completely straight.
- Connections: A2 Stainless steel threaded bars with self-locking nuts and caps.
- All screw connections in stainless steel.
- Covers: robinia or oak panels, approximately 3.0 cm thick.
- Roofs/walls: robinia or oak panels, approximately 2.3 cm thick.
- Beams: square timber oak/robinia, approximately 5 x 8 or 8 x 10 cm.
- Nets/ropes: 16mm steel core nylon rope from Berliner Seilfabrik.
(False Acacia / Black Locust)
Robinia Pseudoacacia is a temperate hardwood with the resistance and durability typically found only in tropical hardwoods (Teak / Iroko). A native of North America, it is now grown widely throughout Europe especially in Hungary, Romania and Slovakia. The Latin name ‘Robinia’ honours a French gardener, Jean Robin, who introduced the tree from North America about 1600.
It is one of the most frequently cultivated deciduous trees in the world.
It is grown in a sustainable fashion - it’s a fast growing commercial crop.
Thanks to its resistance to abiotic and biotic influences, Robinia has a very special position among European woods.
Robinia is the only resistance class 1 wood variety that is cultivated in Europe, making it a very safe material and ideal for children’s playground equipment.
It will typically last up to 70 years in the ground without any form of preservative!
As a member of the pea family it has nitrogen fixing nodules on its root system and so it can be used to colonise areas
of extremely poor soil.
Approval and inspections
All pieces of equipment are pre-assembled at the workshop and self-certified to EN 1176. Post Installation inspections are
essential to confirm the unit has been built and re-assembled in accordance to current standards.
Maintenance and Spares
The equipment requires little maintenance except that of re-staining, where applicable. Spares are readily available.
Timbers can be modelled as required to fit a unique space.